Windows is one of the most used operating systems on the planet. It goes through constant updates and bug fixes to keep things stable for the end users. Yet it’s no secret that there are errors in windows that still “bug” people out. Windows code error 0x0 0x0 is one of them.
We’ll discuss this error code 0x0 0x0, why you’re seeing it, and how you can fix it. Let’s get on with it.
What is Windows Error Code 0x0 0x0?
Before diving into the fixes, let’s first understand this error code. The Windows 0x0 0x0 error code signifies that your PC has a malfunctioning software component or a hardware driver.
The “0x” denotes the decimal number 16, which refers to four bytes of data separated by numbers and letters.
The 0x0 0x0 is a Windows runtime error that forces windows programs to malfunction and stops them from responding. It’ll also eliminate any processes that are related to the issue.
This error is more common than you think. There’s nothing to fear…yet!
There’s a high chance it’s just a software-related issue and will be fixed in a jiffy. However, we can’t simply put hardware failure out of the equation.
Causes For Windows 0x0 0x0 Error
Now we know what the error is supposed to represent. Let’s cover the things that might be causing it.
The error code screen that pops up can pinpoint the exact component that caused the error. But that’s not always the case, as sometimes it won’t.
Here are some of the possible reasons you might be facing Windows error code 0x0 0x0:
- Your PC was unexpectedly shut down, which corrupted a software component.
- A software or driver wasn’t properly installed/uninstalled, causing this error.
- Your (outdated) antivirus might have deleted or quarantined some critical window files.
- A virus or malware is messing up your PC
- Your display (especially GPU) drivers might be corrupted or need an update.
- Some parts of your registry might be missing.
- A failed driver or windows update was interrupted mid-way.
- Hardware failure (God, I hope not!)
How to Fix 0x0 0x0 Error in Windows
Knowing the problem is half the battle. Now we understand what Windows error code 0x0 0x0 is and what causes it. Now it’s time to fix this for good.
We’ve gathered a bunch of fixes that can fix the Windows 0x0 0x0 error. Follow along and see which one works out for you.
Method 1: Run Windows Update
Updating your windows is one of the most crucial things to do. Now I know those pop-ups are annoying, and you’re right. But windows updates are essential for your PC to work optimally.
Latest Windows updates come packed with the latest features, error fixes, and performance tweaks.
Simply updating your Windows to the latest build can resolve most of your issues. It can even give your PC a boost in performance in day-to-day tasks.
Method 2: Run Disk Cleanup Utility
Disk Cleanup is a built-in utility in Windows that helps you clean up a lot of junk from your PC.
The junk is leftover pieces of uninstalled softwares and other random files that pile up over time. This accumulation can slow down your PC and cause runtime errors like 0x0 0x0.
So to rid your PC of junk and free some space, follow the steps below:
- Click on Windows Search and type “Disk Cleanup.” Click on the first result.
- Once the program loads, select your C drive and click ok. Note: You should choose the drive with your Windows installation files. In most cases, it’s the C drive.
- Now that it’s fully loaded click on the “Clean Up System Files” option.
- As the utility finally loads, check all options listed above. Note: This won’t delete any personal files and will remove any old windows update files.
- Once you’ve selected everything, click on ok and let the program do its thing.
Depending on the level of junk files on your PC, it might take a few to several minutes. Once the utility is done, you’ll have some free space and an optimally working PC on your hands.
Method 3: End Conflicting Programs
Several processes and applications are running in unison on your Windows. Sometimes, that unison is broken, and two or more programs start having conflict.
The clash between these programs can cause several issues, even error code 0x0 0x0. To resolve this issue, follow the steps below:
- Open task manager by either right-clicking on the taskbar and selecting the “Task Manager” option. Or, you could simply hit CTRL + SHIFT + ESC buttons.
- Here you’ll see all the applications and processes listed. You can also observe how much system resource each application is using. Look out for apps that either use an abnormal amount of resources or have stopped responding.
- Once you identify the troublemaking application or process, right-click on it and select “End Task.”
- Repeat the process until everything in the task manager seems normal
Once you’re done, you’ll see a speed boost in your PC and even not see that troublesome 0x0 0x0 error code again. Try uninstalling those applications if you don’t use them that are causing issues in your system.
Method 4: Check for Missing/Corrupted Drivers
Drivers are one of the most critical parts of your Windows. Several hardware components in your PC need drivers to function properly.
First of all, open the device manager and see if you have any drivers that are missing. Here’s how to access it:
- Open Windows Search, type “Device Manager,” and click on the first result.
- Once you open the device manager, go through the list of drivers and see if they have any “yellow warning signs” next to them.
- Identify the missing ones and try to update them by right-clicking on them and selecting the automatically updated driver.
This will help you sort out any missing/outdated driver issues. In case the problematic driver isn’t showing up, try updating drivers through these:
- Intel driver utility
- Nvidia Geforce Experience/AMD Radeon Settings
- Windows Update
- 3rd Party Driver Update Tools like Iobit Driver Updater
These will help you sort out your corrupted/missing drivers and hopefully resolve Windows error 0x0 0x0.
Method 5: Try Resetting Your PC
Use this method only if there’s nothing else you can do. Resetting your PC is always the last resort to fixing any problem.
The window gives you a built-in utility to reset your PC back to its original state. In case you’re wondering, you’ll have the option to either keep your personal files or not.
Here’s how you can reset your Windows PC:
- Access Windows settings and go to system settings
- Once you’re in the system settings, click on the recovery tab.
- Click on the get started button under the “Reset this PC” section.
- As the reset wizard starts, select either “Keep Files” or “Remove Everything.”
- In the next step, you’ll have to choose between “Cloud Download” or “Local Reinstall.” Click on reinstall locally, so your system reinstalls the windows normally.
- Click on the next button to move on to the resetting process.
- Lastly, click the reset button and wait for the process to complete
Once the reset completes, you’ll hopefully have to see the error 0x0 0x0 Windows code again.
Did We Help You Fix 0x0 0x0 Error in Windows?
Here are our top 5 ways to fix 0x0 0x0 in Windows. These ways have been tried and tested on multiple variations on PC. Hopefully, these will help you resolve error code 0x0 0x0 in windows. If the 0x0 0x0 error persists, you can try reaching out to us in the comments below.